In 1660 when Rye was first settled, land was set aside for a parish church. The clergy for the parish at Rye alternated between Anglican and Congregational/Presbyterian depending on whether Rye was under the jurisdiction of the colony of New York or Connecticut. With the defeat of England in the American Revolution, American Anglicans took the name Protestant Episcopal and two distinct churches emerged out of the Rye parish.
The Presbyterian Church in the Town of Rye was officially incorporated on June 5, 1795, near the present location of Rye Country Day School. In 1826, the Rye Presbyterian Church was reorganized at its present location at 882 Boston Post Road. It was housed in a modest white framed New England Meeting House style.
A new stone Gothic style building was erected in 1870 and was designed by Richard Upjohn, renowned church architect who built Trinity Church, Wall Street, in Manhattan. His son, Richard M., and grandson, Hobart, were responsible for two later additions to our church. Although the first building for the Sunday Church School was built in 1868, a new building was erected in 1956 with a chapel to meet the growing numbers of families who moved to Rye after World War II.
THE WINDOWS: Rye Presbyterian has been the recipient of a collection of historic American and English stained glass windows which illumine the sanctuary. They span a 75-year period and are unequaled in our area. Click here to learn more and to take a tour of some our windows.