Sunday School News
This summer our children will engage biblical stories through our summer curriculum, An Illustrated Invitation: Joining God at Work in the World. This curriculum is designed to draw children ages Pre-K to 5th grade into conversations with biblical stories from both the Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament, showing them what God is doing, and inviting them to consider how to join in that work. All children will meet as a multi-age group in the Youth Room during the 10:00 a.m. service.
Each lesson focuses on a specific biblical story and provides opportunities to focus on hearing and reflecting on the story with wondering questions, creating meaningful art, sharing in an interactive activity based on the story, and providing an opportunity to share God’s love. The curriculum is broken down into three modules:
Module 1: God’s Invitation in the Hebrew Scriptures
- June 17: God Invites Abram and Sarai (Genesis 12:1-3; 15:1, 5-6)
- June 24: God’s Love for Hagar and Ishmael (Genesis 21:5-21)
- July 1: The Place God was In (Genesis 28:10-19)
- July 8: Five Daughters Demand to be Included (Numbers 27:1-11)
Module 2: God’s Invitation in the New Testament
- July 15: God’s Wisdom is with the Child (Luke 2:41-52)
- July 22: Jesus Surprises Zacchaeus (Luke 19:1-10)
- July 29: Love God, Love Your Neighbor (Matthew 22:34-40)
- Aug. 5: Lydia Extends an Invitation (Acts 16:13-15)
Module 3: Accepting God’s Invitation
- Aug. 12: Everywhere You Go (Deuteronomy 6:4-9; 24-25)
- Aug. 19: Jubilee (Leviticus 25:8-10)
- Aug. 26: The Gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:1-12; 37-47)
- Sept 2: Remember Me (1 Corinthians 11:23-26)
Also, we will hand out copies of An Illustrated Invitation For Families, the family devotionals that companion with our summer curriculum. These devotionals are meant to be easy ways for parents to engage with scripture and talk with your children about faith at home. We hope this is a way that the biblical stories of invitation can come to life for you and your family!
Contact Jean-Paul Marshall with any questions.