In 1660 land was set aside for a parish church when Rye was first settled. The clergy for the parish at Rye alternated between Anglican and Congregational/Presbyterian depending on whether Rye was under the jurisdiction of the colony of New York or Connecticut. With the defeat of England in the American Revolution, American Anglicans took the name Protestant Episcopal and two distinct churches emerged out of the Rye parish.
The Presbyterian Church in the Town of Rye was officially incorporated on June 5, 1795 near the present location of Rye Country Day School. In 1826, the Rye Presbyterian Church was reorganized at its present location at 882 Boston Post Road. It was housed in a modest white framed New England Meeting House style. Another building in Port Chester housed a part of the congregation and was served by the Rye pastor as well. In 1848, the Port Chester Presbyterian Church officially became a separate Presbyterian congregation.
A new stone Gothic style building was erected in 1870 and was designed by Richard Upjohn, renowned church architect who built Trinity Church, Wall Street, in Manhattan. His son, Richard M., and grandson, Hobart, were responsible for two later additions to our church. Rye Presbyterian's collection of historic stained glass windows which illumine the sanctuary are unequalled in our area. Although the first building for the Sunday Church School was built in 1868, a new building was erected in 1956 with a chapel to meet the growing numbers of families who moved to Rye after World War II.
Take a tour of some of our stained glass windows. The collection spans a 75 year period and is remarkable not only for the craftsmen who designed the windows, but for those who gave them.